Why do I get such bad headaches when I skip a meal?

Dr. Jason Campbell
In brief: Possibly Blood Sugar
Although it varies per person, many people will experience side effects from missing regular meal intake of food.
The human body is designed for about 4-6 small to medium meals per day (although 3 large meals is traditional in western societies) and thus missing a scheduled meal can contribute to fluctuating blood sugars resulting in negative side effects such as headaches.

In brief: Possibly Blood Sugar
Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Ira Katz
The only fuels your brain use are sugar and ketones from which can cause headaches. If you do not eat routine meals, although your blood sugar may not go down the sugar getting to your brain may and your ketones may go up, both of which may cause headaches. If these are severe it should be further evaluated.