6 year old on 7th day of augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) for ear infection doctor said not cured yet and to take for 3 more days and that the ear could be red for months.

In brief: Depends

If your child is feeling better, not having pain or fever, it may take a while for the ear to look completely normal (some fluid takes weeks to drain).
If you child is still acting sick, not eating or sleeping well, or still having a fever, have him rechecked by the doctor. The antibiotic may not be effective. I pay more attention to how the child feels than just what the ear looks like.

In brief: Depends

Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. Shontae Buffington