It's it okay for me to take spironolactone if I have a family history of breast cancer? I know it affects hormone levels.

Unknown. Great question! spironolactone increases free estrogen levels in the blood and decreases androgen effects, and in men can cause breast growth. There are no studies that have looked at this question. My best answer is that theoretically, it may increase your risk, as estrogen plays a role in breast cancer development. But if you need spironolactone, you should probably take it.
Not that I know of.. While spironolactone can cause development of breast tissue in males, i am not aware of any special concern in somebody with a family history of breast cancer. Let us see if any one else has a different opinion.