It's it okay for me to take spironolactone if I have a family history of breast cancer? I know it affects hormone levels.

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Unknown
Great question! spironolactone increases free estrogen levels in the blood and decreases androgen effects, and in men can cause breast growth.
There are no studies that have looked at this question. My best answer is that theoretically, it may increase your risk, as estrogen plays a role in breast cancer development. But if you need spironolactone, you should probably take it.

In brief: Unknown
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Paul Harper
Please note that Dr. Webster said that estrogen may increase your risk of cancer. What was NOT said was that estrogen CAUSES cancer. It does not cause cancer. This is a common misconception. Playing a role in and causing are 2 different issues. I have had many patients who ask why they are on birth control when they cause cancer. Hard to explain.
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Not that I know of..
While spironolactone can cause development of breast tissue in males, i am not aware of any special concern in somebody with a family history of breast cancer.
Let us see if any one else has a different opinion.

In brief: Not that I know of..
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Paul Harper
I have never heard of a connection Dr Anathram.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology