What is shingle?

Zoster. Shingles is a viral infection that affects a nerve. It's a very painful condition. There are antiviral drugs to take by mouth in order to shorten the duration of your illness.
Herpes Zoster. This is caused by the chicken pox virus. It affects the skin and nerves in one area on the body, only one side. If the rash and pain are on the torso, they stop at midback and midchest. Any part of the body can be affected. It could affect one side of the scalp or face, one arm, one leg, etc. Anyone who has had chicken poc can get shingles. Good treatment is available and there is a vaccine.