I keep bruising the pads of my feet when I walk or run is there something I can do to stop this?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Try new shoes

Often times something as simple as a new pair of shoes can solve this problem. Off the shelf sports orthotics or inserts are also something to consider. Any good running shoe store with trained shoe fitting staff can help you figure the best course of action in your particular case.

In brief: Try new shoes

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Adam Teichman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Orthotics

It sounds you might be experiencing metatarsalgia.
This can be due to many things such as thinning of the fat pad on the bottom of your feet, abnormal metatarsal length, or nerve issue. I would reccome a metatarsal pad on an orthotic for treatment. Also, seeking a specialist is recomended.

In brief: Orthotics

Dr. Adam Teichman
Dr. Adam Teichman