Mom diagnosed wi/stage IV non small cell lung cancer its mets to bones, a lymph node, pancreas. What is her chances of survival?

Dr. Christian Schultheis
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Tough

Not curable but treatable.
Survival depends on several factors, performance status-meaning how she is doing and how many side effects. Also depends on how well and if she responds to chemotherapy. Hope this helps.

In brief: Tough

Not curable but treatable.
Dr. Christian Schultheis
Dr. Christian Schultheis
Dr. William Byars

In brief: I agree

I agree with dr. Wright.
Try to be sure that mom understands the difference between palliative treatment and curative treatment. Any treatment she receives will be palliative. With support from family and friends and health care providers, she should not procrastinate on end-of-life planning.

In brief: I agree

I agree with dr. Wright.
Dr. William Byars
Dr. William Byars
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
In addition to saying it is "palliative", say that we care about your mom, and her comfort now is our first objective since treatment of the cancer may only make her feel worse and has no chance of extending her life. A true statement, but somehow hard for therapy-focused physicians to say aloud.

In brief: None

We all die. Make the most of every day.
Hers are limited but not absolutely predictable.

In brief: None

We all die. Make the most of every day.
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Sadly, not good

I'm so very sorry, but stage IV lung cancer, especially ones that have spread as much as your mother's has spread, doesn't carry a very good survival.
But, you should get together with your doctor and a cancer specialist to figure out the best treatment options. I would also figure out overall goals of care and find out what your mom would want. Best of luck, and hang in there, ok?

In brief: Sadly, not good

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology