My doc has me on 40 mg axium i'm taking on e a day seems like they are not doing there or if only for a few hours after I take one, can I take more?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: No

You are probably taking Nexium (esomeprazole) 40mg.
If it only works for a few hours you probably need to try another medication and follow up to see if there is something more serious wrong than simple heartburn.

In brief: No

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: What is Axium?

Are you sure you mean axium? Do you mean nexium (esomeprazole)? Or axid? In either case you should consult with your doctor if you are still having symptoms.
It is not safe to adjust doses of prescription medications on your own and you may actually need further evaluation or a specialist referral.

In brief: What is Axium?

Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Need more info

If you've taken it daily for more than 2 weeks & not experiencing relief, talk to your doctor again.
Sometimes the answer is to take more but don't make that decision on your own. Axium 40mg is potent. Make sure you're following all of your doc's advice, too. Lose weight. Avoid nsaids, fatty/spicy food, caffeine, alcohol & nicotine, don't eat within 3 hours of bed &don't mix w/ other antacids.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
thanks, I wondered if that's what you meant, there are enough generic and alternative names that Axium is just as likely a name. We are talking about a broad category of medicines called proton pump inhibitors that include Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium, Axid, & others.Their generic names all end in "-prozole." The advice doesn't change, however. Talk to the doc if your symptoms aren't relieved.
Dr. Kenneth Smith

In brief: Nexium (esomeprazole)

The qiestion should be why is standard dosing not working.
There are hypersecretory conditions. Not enough to control symptoms. Needs additional evaluation.

In brief: Nexium (esomeprazole)

Dr. Kenneth Smith
Dr. Kenneth Smith
Dr. Julie Holmon
You should followup with your doctor since Nexium is not providing relief of symptoms.
Dr. Fareen Rahman
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: No

I guess you mean nexium (esomeprazole).
40mg is the maximum you can take in a day. If you do not have relief you should talk to him or her as something else might be going on or you may have to see the specialist.

In brief: No

I guess you mean nexium (esomeprazole).
Dr. Fareen Rahman
Dr. Fareen Rahman
Dr. Marsha Davis