My knee hurts for about a year what could it be?

Get Xray. It is most likely arthritis. You should go to doc to have an xray done. There are other causes such as meniscal and acl/pcl damage which shows up on an mri.
Multiple reasons. Since the pain is going on for a year it does not sound like a bruise or a strain since those symptoms usually resolve in days to weeks. Problems in a joint for a year do suggest the possibility of an arthritic problem and should be evaluated particularly if there is inflammation. A structural problem such as a meniscal tear could cause prolonged symptoms in a knee and again should be looked at.