Does an ovarian cyst cause leg pain and pelvic pain?

Dr. Wendy Askew

In brief: Depends

It would need to be of a sufficiently large size to do so.
Remember that ovaries produce cysts every month, and these (functional) cysts are normal, and don't cause pain. If they get larger than normal, (my opinion >3-4cm) or grow in size rapidly, or if they cause bleeding into the abdominal cavity then they can cause pelvic pain.Sometimes the pain will refer down the inner or front of the up.Thigh.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Unusual

Usually just abdominal pain.
I imagine in rare cases it is possble.

In brief: Unusual

Usually just abdominal pain.
I imagine in rare cases it is possble.
Dr. Ted Anderson
Gynecology

In brief: Rarely

Despite common beliefs, most ovarian cysts do not cause pain.
However, if a cyst is large enough, it could press against the nerves in the pelvis causing pelvic or leg pain.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Jane Van Dis