Low grade of fever acting as stimulant of immune system in a child with urti. Avoid antipyretic below 37.5 c. Is it true?

Dr. Joseph Torkildson
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: I think so!

Many people have an unnatural fear of fever, and are medicating children for very low grade fevers.
I think fever medication should be reserved for children who feel bad due to a fever; this often doesn't occur until temps are 102-103. One does not prevent seizures by giving medicine early. There are data that suggest that fever does stimulate the immune system and help us fight infection.

In brief: I think so!

Dr. Jonathan Jassey