Why do I get leg cramps just below my knee every night?

# of reasons. Leg cramps occur because of tired muscles (standing long periods, workout), low potassium, venous insufficiency, peripheral arterial disease (pad), and the trigger may be simply stretching in bed. Try stretching exercises, ice massages to area of cramping. Evaluation of your leg veins by a phlebologist (physician who treats venous problems) may be next step.
Leg cramps common. This can be due to major electrolyte imbalance in most cases (potassium/magnesium usually). Sometimes it can be due to nerve problems or circulation which can be serious.
Many reasons. Check electrolytes, make sure you drink enough fluid not water.......Make sure you are not deconditioned.....Other reason can be diabetes, vascular, restless leg.
In darkness or bed? For clarification reasons, does every night mean when the sun goes down or when you are reclining or lying in bed? Is it relieved upon standing?
Could be veins. One of the most common symptoms of varicose veins and venous incompetence is leg cramps. As much as 65% of the time, people with varicose veins will have leg cramps. Although there are many other possible causes, as others have said, if you have any visible veins in your legs, you should see a venous specialist (phlebologist) for help.