How to get rid of heartburn?

Lifestyle change +. Start with lifestyle changes that prevent relaxation of the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus. That includes avoiding spicy foods, tomato based foods, chocolates, mints, alcohol, nicotene, etc... Medications such as ppi may be needed. Longstanding heartburn consider undergoing an endoscopy to evaluate your esophagus. Talk to your md.
Lifestyle measures. Smaller more frequent meals. Elevate head of bed from the floor. Don't eat within four hours of going to bed. Limit citrus fruits, chocolate, caffeine, tomato products, smoking and peppermint. Lose weight if you're overweight. OTC meds like Prevacid, Prilosec and AcipHex (rabeprazole). If these measures don't help, see GI doctor for EGD.