I just finished a diflucan (fluconazole) regimen for tinea versicolor how do I know if there still is an infection or not in the hypopigmented lesions ?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Tinea Versicolor

Your doctor can diagnose tinea versicolor by what the rash looks like.
Occasionally, the doctor may use ultraviolet light, which will make the affected areas appear a fluorescent yellow-green if they're the result of tinea versicolor. Your doctor may also take a skin sample by scraping some skin and scales from the affected area to look at under a microscope.

In brief: Tinea Versicolor

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Steve Springer

In brief: Time will tell

The hypo pigmented areas may persist for 6 wks or even up to eight weeks.
It's important to remember that recurrence rates are also fairly high...Up to 80% within two years....So close follow up with your doctor and discussion about a prophylactic therapy choice may be in order.

In brief: Time will tell

Dr. Steve Springer
Dr. Steve Springer