How long after my wrist and thumb surgery should I wear my sling?

Ask your surgeon. Sorry, but the only person who's allowed to decide your guidelines for post-operative care is the doctor who is operating on you. That said, I'm guessing that you shouldn't need a sling very long, because the sling immobilizes your shoulder, not your elbow or wrist. Good luck.
As little as possibl. Slings do not allow much elevation of the wrist or hand, and prolonged use can lead to shoulder and elbow stiffness. Since the surgery was on the hand, I would recommend not using the sling at all. Keep your hand elevated above heart level as much as possible for the first few days, then as needed based on the swelling you have.
Depends on your doc. I tend not to use slings for hand surgery because it does not elevate the hand as much as I would like. I usually tell my patients to carry the operated hand over to the opposite shoulder (kind of an exaggerated pledge of allegiance) in order to keep it above the heart and help reduce any post-op swelling. So check with your doc since we all treat differently.