How to recover from a rotator cuff injury?

Dr. Rohit Keswani
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Rest and exercise
As long as it is not torn, a cuff sprain/strain resolves with rest for a couple of days with the use of anti inflammatory meds, followed by gradual exercises involving rotation of the shoulder (look up codmans exercises, which are pendulum exercises for the shoulder).
Perform slowly, as pain resolves, can add light weights while performing them to strengthen rtc muscles.

In brief: Rest and exercise
Dr. Rohit Keswani
Dr. Rohit Keswani
Dr. David Tuckman
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is the mainstay of treatment for rotator cuff strains.
I personally have not found injections of cortisone very effective.. These can sometimes take 3-6 months to improve.

In brief: Physical Therapy
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. Charles Metzger
I agree, but I do A LOT of cortisone injections because they almost always help with the pain some, for awhile, and that can help progress in therapy. It is true that a cortisone injection doesn't really "cure" the problem, and they often only work for a few days to weeks.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine