What are some causes for lower left abdomnial pain, and how long show I wait in pain before I see my doctor a second time for it?

Dr. Chris Hawley

In brief: Left lower quadrant

There are many causes for llq pain including diverticulitis, ovarian cysts, infections, constipation, kidney stone that is descending down the urinary tract, abdominal wall hernia or other mass.
When in doubt, a ct scan with and without contrast can give you alot of information.

In brief: Left lower quadrant

Dr. Chris Hawley
Dr. Chris Hawley
3 comments
Dr. Chris Hawley
X-ray will not show a hernia. If you are really suspicious, a general surgeon's physical exam and possibly a CT scan may be necessary.
Dr. Chris Hawley
If it were me, I'd try to see a general surgeon first as you may be able to avoid the radiation exposure from the CT.
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Spasm, inflammation

Diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome (ibs) are probably the most common causes of left lower abdominal pain.
Diverticulitis is inflammatory and needs antibiotics, sometimes surgery. Ibs is a functional disorder, with alterations in how the intestinal tract responds to stimuli. These can be hard to tell apart, so if you've had pain for 12 hours or more it seems wise to consult your doctor.

In brief: Spasm, inflammation

Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Vicken Poochikian