Dermatology or pediatrition only please. 5 wk old baby redness and small tiny bumps on face and a little on neck. Acne? What else? Treatment?

Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology

In brief: I would certainly

show your pediatrician, but acne is common and I recommend just keeping skin cool, and it will go away on its own:)

In brief: I would certainly

In brief: Leave it alone

Baby acne is felt to be triggered by babies high level of maternal hormone levels that sustained the pregnancy & prepaired for breast feeding.
Clamping the cord cuts off new hormone input, but leaving the wet spa of pregnancy puts baby in contact with skin irritants and germs. The process accelerates for a while before peaking & the intensity varies. Eventually the hormones & acne are gone.

In brief: Leave it alone

Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Rashes

If the baby is drinking well, voiding and stooling are normal, and he is otherwise well, then this is likely one of the many harmless rashes babies get.
If this isn't the case, see your pediatrician immediately. The bottom line, though, is that rashes need to be seen by a physician to be properly diagnosed. Lots of rashes have red bumps.

In brief: Rashes

Dr. Cindy Juster