I have high blood presure an when my legs swell they turn red why ?

Dr. Ray Holt
In brief: Typical
When you retain fluid in the legs, the skin flushes and looks pink.
A lot of times this is mistaken for cellulitis, a skin infection. The bigger issue though is why are your legs swelling? It's not normal in hypertension unless something else is going on. So see a doctor to find the cause.

In brief: Typical
Dr. Ray Holt
Dr. Ray Holt
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Inflammation
You may have leg swelling from diastolic heart failure associated with uncontrolled blood pressure or fluid retention due to incompetence of the valves in the veins of the legs.
In either case stretching of the skin and soft tissue of the leg can cause inflammation and/ or infection resulting in redness.

In brief: Inflammation
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Marsha Davis