For how long will my baby recall traumatizing experiences?

In brief: Most is forgotten

Many of the very early experiences in life are processed and forgotten.
Most infant memories dissolve with time. As children get older the memories become more concrete or permanent. Positive reinforcement, love and understanding go a long way in helping a child get past a bad experience.

In brief: Most is forgotten

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Varies

The common wisdom says that babies can' t form full memories until much older. However, children can associate smells, colors or other senses with "bad memories".
My daughter spent three months in a neonatal ICU at birth, now is very healthy, but when she visits me in a hospital she can't stand the smell and has to leave. She can't remember her experience, but still the smell is a trigger.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard