How is COPD confirmed? I'm 27, have asthma, have smoked in the past, and after a bad chest infection 5 months ago my lungs have still not recovered.

Dr. Sammy Pedram

In brief: Pulm Function Test

Pulmonary function testing.
It would be very unusual for you to have COPD at age 27. Given your history of asthma, your lungs are more susceptible to infections and other insults. Usually to have COPD we consider the equivalent of 10 years of smoking one pack per day and being age 40 and older. Did you have a follow-up chest x-ray after your pneumonia? I would recommend to see a pulmonologist.

In brief: Pulm Function Test

Pulmonary function testing.
Dr. Sammy Pedram
Dr. Sammy Pedram
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: PFT's

Pulmonary function testing.
It will measure the volume of your lungs before and after being given an agent to dilate your air sacs (alveoli). There is also characteristic measurements and the shapes of those measurements are characteristic as well.

In brief: PFT's

Pulmonary function testing.
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology