What does it mean if I have pain as supposed to discomfort when a speculum is inserted and opened in my vagina? Is endometriosis a possible reason?

In brief: Yes possibly

Obviously speculum exams involve placement of the instrument within the vagina - first through the pelvic floor muscles (called the kegels muscles) and they can hurt.
With the opening of the speculum the ends can push against anything - cervix, inside the pelvis and if a person has endometriosis it can cause pain. Typically intercourse would also be painful.

In brief: Yes possibly

Dr. Carol Peters-tanksley

In brief: Probably not

Endometriosis certainly causes pain, but that may not be why this is happening.
A speculum exam is uncomfortable for many women: if it is painful for you, ask your doctor if there is any reason they can see as to why. It can also be because of vaginal muscle spasms or other problems. Endometriosis usually causes pain with menses or intercourse.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery