Can me drinking too much water a day/ I am 19, a girl, 5'3 and drink about 5-6l per day lead to extreme water retention ( like 11kg)?

Dr. James Cain
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

You should drink if you are thirsty and not force lots of water. Excess water can cause low sodium, swelling and be very dangerous.

Dr. James Cain
Dr. James Cain

In brief: Unlikely to happen

Your kidneys (if normal) will dilute the urine enough to eliminate as much extra water as you take in/day.
If your kidneys are bad or you are taking medications that lead to decreased urine production that could lead to fluid retention. It is most likely that the excess 11k you think you carry has less to do with water & more to do with food.

In brief: Unlikely to happen

Dr. Shontae Buffington