What is a the best multi vitamin to take for a 41 year old male?

Dr. Julia Stanford
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: None
No research data has shown that a daily multivitamin in an otherwise healthy individual will reduce disease burden or prolong life.
It is by far best to get your nutrients by eating a healthy diet full of fruits/veggies, lean protein, and dairy. Also, nutrients obtained through food instead of a vitamin are better absorbed.

In brief: None
Dr. Julia Stanford
Dr. Julia Stanford
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: You may not need it
Every other day is very safe.
With a mixed healthy diet probably not helpful.

In brief: You may not need it
Every other day is very safe.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Any
Guidelines indicate that most adults should take a multivitamin, but there is no evidence that any specific brand is superior. I usually advise patients to shop by price for an adult vitamin, and compare labels with brand names- the nutrients are usually listed in a way that you can easily compare to be sure they're the same.

In brief: Any
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Brian Flyer
In brief: Vitamins
Most people falsely overvalue vitamins you don't need any supplements if you eat a balanced diet broccoli/spinach for vit b, carrots/corn for a, and citrus for c works pretty good.
Vit d is tricky because most people don't drink enough milk; alternates include some yogurts, mushrooms, etc. One multivitamin is sufficient to take.

In brief: Vitamins
Dr. Brian Flyer
Dr. Brian Flyer
Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Real Food
Americans have world's most expensive urine because we believe that there is something easier than a good diet to keep us healthy.
If you eat a diet rich in a variety of fruits and vegetables, adequate calcium, lean protein and fats like olive oil, you will get your vitamins. If you are eating an unbalanced diet, no vitamin will make up for that. Write down all you eat for 1 wk & talk to your md.

In brief: Real Food
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
2 comments
Dr. Julia Stanford
Excellent response!
Dr. David Liu
The only exception would be if your child was on a specific diet, such as vegan, where there might be a deficiency of a specific nutritient. If that is the case, speak to your provider, and possibly ask for a referral to a nutritionist.
Dr. Marsha Davis
In brief: A good quality MVI (multivitamin)
Some multivitamins are of poor quality and are not absorbed, so I do not recommend shopping by price.
Try to look for standardized on the label to show some quality control. Otherwise I have recommended several brand names. I do not like a multivitamin with iron because iron can inhibit absorption of some other vitamins. Take iron separately if needed.

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Patrick Ferry
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Skip it, unless...
Odds are good you do not need a multivitamin, assuming you eat a balanced diet daily and don't have special needs.
Most don't have special needs. To date, the actual evidence of multivitamins benefits for the majority is limited, to say the least.

In brief: Skip it, unless...
Dr. Patrick Ferry
Dr. Patrick Ferry