What does rapid, irregular heart beats mean?

Depends. It could be nothing serious, or it could be an arrythmia where your heart is not beating as it should and not delivering enough oxygen to your brain and the rest of your body. At any rate you should visit your doctor so the appropriate tests can be done to figure it out for you. If you feel dizzy or fain you should go to the emergency room.
Heart rhythm problem. Tachycardia means fast heart rate. Irregular heart rhythm means heart beats are occurring irregularly. These are specific and not the same as the 'sensation' that your heart is going fast or irregularly. If the heart beat is, in fact, rapid and irregular as documented by an electrocardiogram (ekg), then there are a number of possibilities; most common in this category is 'atrial fibrillation'.
Atrial fibrillation. This is a common rhythm abnormality of the heart- irregularly rapid rate. Can most often be controlled with medications. You may have to check thyroid function as well.
Depends. It's a symptom that really frightens people. Sometimes its as simple as too much coffee and not enough sleep, but can also mean there is something up with your body chemicals or your heart's electrical system. Don't drive yourself nuts. Get it checked out. Do so immediately if you also have shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, fainting, nausea, vomiting &/or unexplained sweating.
Possibly afib. Depends on age and if you have hypertension but if yes for these 2 then more likely afib. If younger could be afib but could also be an svt.
Tachycardia. Numerous arrythmias potential. Would seek medical attention. Electrocardiograph while occurring has great diagnostic capability.
May be serious. Hi br00ke18. A racing heart or irregular heart beats can be a signs of an "arrhythmia" or abnormal pattern of heart's ability to beat properly. Some arrhythmias are common and fairly benign, others can lead to problems with blood flow, energy, and your breathing. I recommend you see your doctor soon to determine what may be happening with your heart.
You need to see . your doctor and be checked to see what the arrhythmia is and depending on the arrhythmia it may need treatment. .