For over a year it seems all the phlegm in my nose goes into my throat somehow and causes me to choke. I also always wake up with blood in my mouth. ?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Probably not your nose
Your symptoms do not sound like they have anything to do with your nose.
The nose makes anywhere from 250 ml to 2000 ml of mucus a day and this mucous rarely causes choking. When people feel mucus in their throat and they choke it is almost always due to unrecognized reflux. Stomach juice comes up from below gets into your throat causing choking and irritation. You need to see an ENT doctor for an evaluation.

In brief: Probably not your nose
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
In brief: Need to see ENT etc.
A healthy person can easily swallow mucus that the nose drips onto the throat, or mucus (clear phlegm) that naturally comes out of the lungs.
Any problems swallowing need to be evaluated to see if there is a nerve problem or a tumor pressing on nerves. The ENT doctor can check for problems on exam and by ct/mri scanning. Stomach reflux and auto-immune disorders can also disrupt swallowing.

In brief: Need to see ENT etc.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine