Can you get chicken pox as a adult?

Dr. James Shoemaker
General Practice

Anyone can get chicken pox if they have never had it before and were not vaccinated against it.
Also, immunosuppressed people may get it anyway. Theoretically it is possible to be infected by someone with shingles (herpes zoster).

Dr. James Shoemaker
Dr. James Shoemaker

About 96% of adults who cannot recall having chickenpox test positive for antibodies, but this does leave some that can get it if exposed.
We lost a 23 yo in my city 3 years ago to chickenpox pneumonia. It can be quite horrible in an adult, so vaccination and early treatment if affected is very important.

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

It can be very serious. Fortunately there are very effective meds.

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Cindy Juster