Iv been on 15mgs of prednisone for 3yrs for rhomatoid arthritis. Im 35lbs overweight & want to loose it, can I while taking prednisone? Any tips how?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Diet and exercise

I have seen patients lose weight with diet and exercise while taking steroids.
It is of course not easy. Is there any way to decrease the Prednisone with the addition of any other steroid sparing drugs such as Methotrexate or the biologics such as Enbrel or remicade (infliximab)? Consider a research protocol if they exist in your area. We use new research medications hoping to decrease prednisone.

In brief: Diet and exercise

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

Of course, you can lose weight while taking prednisone.
But, I am not saying "it's a piece of cake" -a little joke. Actually, your body will want to convert food you eat to fat a bit more easily because of the steroids. Choose a bit higher protein, lower carb, lowish fat eating plan; and exercise. Your rheumatoid arthritis should be more controlled on the steroids. Start to walk or swim. Luck2u.

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Steven Seres