What is proctitis?

Inflamed rectum. Proctitis can be due a number of causes including infection (e.g. Herpes, gonorrhea, ameba), ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease (ibd, crohn's usually relative sparing of rectum), poor blood flow (ischemic), damage from radiation treatment, reaction to noxious chemicals (soap suds enemas), and others. Rx depends on cause.
Inflamed rectum. Inflammation of the rectum is called proctitis; can be infectious, part of ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease (ibd), poor blood flow (ischemic), after radiation damage, response to noxious stimuli (soap suds enemas), etc. Rx varies with cause.