I had a spinal tap done in august. And where they did it still hurts. Is this normal or did something go wrong?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: Unusual
It would be odd that you still have pain at the site if the lumbar puncture.
See your doctor.

In brief: Unusual
See your doctor.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Peter Zimmerman
You may have persistent back pain, but 4 months out from an LP, your pain is unrelated to the procedure
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: Who did it?
Many non anesthesiologists who do spinals do a very poor job.
I have seen er md's and neurologists struggly for an hour causing pain and be a foot away from the right spot to go. When they ask me, i usually get it done with no pain in 5 minutes or less. Ask their spinal headache rate, needle tip and size. If > 0.5 %, > 25 g (smaller # is larger) or not a pencil tip get someone else.

In brief: Who did it?
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Should get better!
Even a small needle stick will cause an inflammatory response as the body heals the spot where it happened.
It's normal to have some bruising and tenderness that may last for a while. Try a heating pad, massage, and Ibuprofen or naproxen. Exercise to strengthen core muscles is always good for back pain, and stretching is good therapy too. It should get better!

In brief: Should get better!
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology
In brief: Rare to still have p
Unusual, but possible, more likely if the clinician had a difficult time placing spinal.
I would consult them, infact they would most likely be happy to see you, examine you, and help determine why you still have discomfort and make appropriate recommendations. This should resolve soon, but at least make the clinician aware of your concerns.

In brief: Rare to still have p
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Gabor Racz
Anesthesiology
In brief: No normal
Needles are sharp and can cut nerves that can form neuromas that can continue to hurt.
Need to see a board certified interventional pain doctor. May be very simple, but it should not last this long.

In brief: No normal
Dr. Gabor Racz
Dr. Gabor Racz
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine