Hi, I was walking today and I took a bad step and since then my knee hurts a lot and it has turned twice as the other one. What should I do? Thanks

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: See ur doc 4 evaluat

You may have simply strained the ligaments on both sides of the knee that help hold the joint together, or you may have actually torn one/more.
If knee "catches" when u try to straighten or bend it, u may have damaged the internal cartilege (meniscus). If the knee is unstable from front to back, you may have injured a cruciate ligament on the inside of the knee. Evaluation by your doc important.

In brief: See ur doc 4 evaluat

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
use OTC pain med if tolerated. wrap knee with Ace bandage for extra support when walking; consider using crutches if knee very unstable. caution with crutches: NO weight on armpits; go slow and easy
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Ice, nsaids

Recommends ice, rest and nsaids to decrease swelling.
Probably need an exam to evaluate the etiology for the swelling. There may be an internal derangement in the knee or arthritic changes which cause swelling.

In brief: Ice, nsaids

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine