Can grapefruit seed extract lose potency if taken on and off and create antibiotic-resistant organisms?

Pathology

In brief: Health fraud

Please forgive my frankness, Jay.
The grapefruit seed extract you are taking isn't killing bad germs or benefitting anybody but the hucksters. You are young and probably don't believe how much fakery there is in the world. If you are interested in this natural healing stuff, get with a real, evidence-based holist. Best wishes.

In brief: Health fraud

Please forgive my frankness, Jay.
Dr.

In brief: Not an antibiotic

Grapefruit seed extract does not have any clinically proven antibiotic properties.
Like many alternative medicines, it is used by the natural health movement based on anecdotal evidence, not by proven scientific methods. Google scholar CAM studies are of very low quality. Therefore given that there is no good evidence it can kill bacteria, it is unlikely to create antibiotic resistance.

In brief: Not an antibiotic

Dr.
Dr. Steven Seres