How can I treat my sciatic nerve?

Dr. Rohit Keswani
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Exercise

It really depends on the cause of your pain.
Typically what is considered sciatic nerve pain comes from the back and is often a radiculopathy. Sometimes it can originate from a tight muscle known as the piriformis. Exercises the stabilize the spine, combined with oral steroid and occasionally an epidural may help for back associated leg pain. For piriformis, a therapist can assist with stretches.

In brief: Exercise

Dr. Rohit Keswani
Dr. Rohit Keswani
Dr. Katharine Garnier
You can get instructed in a core and back strengthening exercise program, either by your physician or a physical therapist. Your doctor can also prescribe anti-inflammatory meds that can help. I have also had patients report that an inversion table has helped them also for their sciatic pain. Osteopathic manipulation can help too. You should explore all options before surgery.
Dr. Eric Weisman