Infant of 9 months has conjunctivitis. Thick green paste at eye. Can I use eye drop xepanicol for her? She got c from me.

In brief: Never for kids

This med is never used for kids.
Even eye drops of this medication have triggered bone marrow shut down and eventual death as a side effect.You need an eye med prescribed for the child by her physician, not some left over drug from your cabinet.

In brief: Never for kids

This med is never used for kids.
Dr. Colin McCannel
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Possibly Serious

When there is as much discharge as described, it can be a very serious eye infection.
I suggest an emergent evaluation by a pediatric ophthalmologist, or go to your local er that has pediatric coverage. Regarding cholamphenicol, it is commonly used all over the world, in the us it is considered inappropriate because of an extremely rare complication of it's use. Hope this helps.

In brief: Possibly Serious

Dr. Colin McCannel
Dr. Colin McCannel

In brief: Xepanicol

Xepanicol (chloramphenicol) ophthalmic.
"bone marrow hypoplasia, including aplastic anemia and death has been reported following local application of chloramphenicol. It should not be used when less potentially dangerous agents would be expected to provide effective treatment". ( fda website). You have to get an eye discharge culture and get an appropriate treatment at you doctor's office.

In brief: Xepanicol

Xepanicol (chloramphenicol) ophthalmic.
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Needs

In brief: Needs

An antibiotic.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Jane Van Dis