Can my 7 month old be having temper tantrums?When he wants something he doesn't just get fussy anymore. He just screams loudly and suddenly.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: I agree that his

pediatrician needs to see him & a video of an episode.
Learned behaviors typically start at 6 months, so he can have learned that his shriek gets instant attention, but you can't ignore it till you know he's ok. If ok, ignore it consistently till he gives it up. Intermittently reinforcing it makes it last longer. Attend to him while he's happy. with phrases like, " Up? You want up?" & a smile.

In brief: I agree that his

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke

In brief: Yes and no

If you see this as part of another fussy moment that begins to escalate when the kid realizes you're not responding it can be temper. If it starts out at an exaggerated pitch without any warning i'd be concerned about some sort of spasm/pain.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Maybe

Seven mos is young for traditional temper tantrums.
However, infabts can learn to respond quicker and stronger to frustrations. Hwever, crying suddenly without provocation makes me worry about pain, cramps, spasms, etc. I'd look for an underlying cause.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Can be

Some children who have advanced receptive language abilities get frustrated by not having others understand what they are trying to communicate.
Keep working on language stimulation. You might try teaching your child some signs. Learning signs does not delay verbal communication.

In brief: Can be

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Richard Wasserman
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably not

You don't say how long this has been going on but i would be concerned that the baby is in pain when there are sudden loud screams in a child that age.
If this problem continues, see your doctor.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Richard Wasserman
Dr. Richard Wasserman
Dr. Cindy Juster