Total hip replacement a year ago. Dr stretched my femoral nerve and said nerve would return 100% by 6 mos. After 1 yr, I have abt 60%. How much longer?

Dr. John Dearborn
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: This could be it

This is a rare complication and usually the result of an anterior hip approach.
Injury to the sensory nerve to the thigh is the more common issue with this approach. I agree that regrowth is about 1mm per day after the first few weeks, but a year is more than enough time for the nerve cell to find it's way if it going to happen. You can have a neurologist evaluate your current status with an emg.

In brief: This could be it

Dr. John Dearborn
Dr. John Dearborn
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: He's Correct

Although this is an unusual occurance, your surgeon is correct.
It may take as long as 1 year to get full improvement. No guarantee though. Physical therapy is an important part to recovery. Good luck.

In brief: He's Correct

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. David Fisher
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Unknown

The type of nerve injury affects the recovery rate.
Whether it is stretched, bruised, cut, or otherwise damaged affects the recovery. Nerves regenerate slowly after damage and generally "regrow" an average of 1mm/day. So depending on the location of damage and how far to regrow can determine length of recovery. In some cases, they never recover fully.

In brief: Unknown

Dr. David Fisher
Dr. David Fisher