I have urine that smells fishy. I have protein and blood in urine dipstick. I also have swollen ankles. What could be the cause?

Dr. Jason Kline
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Nephrotic syndrome?

Protein and blood in the urine could suggest kidney disease and ankle swelling may mean a significant amount of protein in the urine which should be treated.
See a nephrologist who can help diagnose the problem and offer specific treatment if in fact it is a kidney issue. The longer this goes without treatment, the greater the risk for permanent kidney damage. Good luck!

In brief: Nephrotic syndrome?

Dr. Jack Rubin

In brief: Proteinuria

You need to see a nephrologist as soon as possible.
Protein in the urine is a symptom, not a diagnosis. Have a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance and protein, have blood taken to see if you diabetes or high levels of cholesterol and a renal ultrasound to see if you and the doctor can arrive at a diagnosis for the cause of your proteinuria. You may need diuretics to control the edema.

In brief: Proteinuria

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine