Had blood work done what is a vldl test?

Pathology
In brief: Syphilis screen
And a very helpful syphilis screen, though other things can give a positive result as well.
Your physician will sort this out. Anybody can have syphilis -- you can get it before you're born and never know.

In brief: Syphilis screen
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
VLDL is a cholesterol test. VDRL is the syphillis test. See my answer for details.
Dr. Mark Stern
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: See below
Very low density lipoprotein.

In brief: See below
Very low density lipoprotein.
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Preventive Medicine
In brief: 1 of 5 Lipoproteins
Lipoproteins carry all fat molecules around the body in the water outside cells & have traditionally been divided, by density (or size), into 5 major groups.
Vldl is one of the 5, see the illustration. Ldl-uldl have beta lipoprotein as their primary protein & distribute fats around the body - all tend to drive atherosclerosis, depending on concentrations. Hdl, Alpha lipoprotein, can be protective.

In brief: 1 of 5 Lipoproteins
Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Cholesterol test
I believe my colleagues have mis-read the question.
The vldl is a type of cholesterol test; very low density lipoprotein. This is a subset of the "bad" cholesterol, LDL or low density lipoprotein. My colleagues got confused with the vdrl test for syphillis. The vdrl (veneral disease research laboratory) test is similar to the RPR in that it checks for syphillis antibodies.

In brief: Cholesterol test
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
In brief: Cholesterol test
Vldl stands for very low density lipoprotein.
This is a type of "bad cholesterol". Vldl is sometimes used as a secondary marker of evaluating your risk of cardiac disease. Essentially the lower your vldl the better.

In brief: Cholesterol test
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology