I only have one kidney can I take ibeprophen?

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management

In brief: Probably not

I would advice against NSAID in your situation.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Jack Mutnick
But do discuss alternative anti-inflammatory therapy with your transplant and nephrology doctors
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: It Depends

You need to take good care of that kidney! any NSAID such as Ibuprofen or motrin, Aleve (naproxen) or naprosyn, even Aspirin can affect kidney function and in some cases even shut it down.
Nsaid use should be as sporadic as possible and avoided if you have signs of kidney problems such as high blood pressure, protein in your urine or diabetes.Check with your doctor to see what your current kidney function is.

In brief: It Depends

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky

In brief: Probably

Because Ibuprofen is metabolized through the kidney it is good to be cautious with this medication.
The important thing to know is that the 1 kidney is functioning well. This is done with blood testing periodically. In most cases with 1 kidney it is okay to take and occasional ibuprofen, however, you should check with your doctor about this as they would know more about your situation.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Cynthia Lubinsky
Dr. Vikram Patel