My sister smokes cigarettes normally, but she's breast-feeding my nephew. Can I get facts on how poisonous I know it must be for the baby? To tell her

Dr. Scott Beede

In brief: Amer Lung Assoc

Smoking while breast feeding decreases milk supply and changes the composition of breast milk.
It may also may her baby more fussy. Second hand smoke has more problems for her child. Quitting smoking is best, but it is a powerfully addictive drug, more addictive than coccaine or heroine. The americal lung association (www.Lungusa.Org) is a good source of further information.

In brief: Amer Lung Assoc

Dr. Scott Beede
Dr. Scott Beede
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
However remember that tobacco smoking is NOT a contraindication for breastfeeding. Refer to Centers For Disease Control FAQs on Breastfeeding http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/faq/index.htm
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Provide support

When she can " hear" that prenatal exposure to tobacco has potentially set him up for deficits in speech & language skills, visual/spatial abilities, behavior, attention & iq & that his passive smoking continues to harm his lungs & brain, she'll feel very guilty.
Don't scold; tell her how worried you are about both of them. Ask her to talk her pediatrician. She may not read the literature.

In brief: Provide support

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Cindy Juster