How long is the recovery time after an operation on a shoulder. I have an exstensive slap tare to the upper librum?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Expect 3 mo therapy

I usually recommend up to 3 months of physical therapy (2 visits per week) after most repairs of slap tears of the labrum. This allows for adequate time for protecting the healing, repaired labrum. If the slap tear is only debrided (torn portion trimmed away akin to a hang nail), the recovery is much quicker and most patients can advance with minimal therapy "as tolerated".

In brief: Expect 3 mo therapy

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Brian Badman
Based on your age, I would first advise you to discuss the planned surgery with your surgeon. Many shoulder specialists are leaning more towards treating large SLAP tears with a bicep tenodesis. This has been strongly advocated by Dr. Snyder who is one of the first docs to describe SLAP lesions (in addition to Dr. Andrews). The bicep labral complex is probably best salvaged for overhead throwers but for folks older than 35, I would lean more towards a tenodesis. If you are older than the age of 50 and your surgeon is advising fixing a SLAP tear I would find another orthopedist.
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Long Time

Regardless of the tissue repaired, primary healing takes 3 months and we recommend avoiding any stressful activities that may compromise the healing process (including aggressive pt).
Strengthening can start after 3 months and depending on the level of activity the ultimate return can vary. Learn more here: http://www.Theshouldercenter.Com/labrum-tear-slap-lesion.Htm.

In brief: Long Time

Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine