After radical prostatectomy followed by radiation therapy in 3 months. Can the cancer comes back?

Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology

In brief: It can

Risk of biological failure, when the psa blood test continues to increase or drops and then increases above what it originally was, is dependent on cells leaking outside of the prostate capsule.
This risk is somewhat predictable based on original psa, t stage, and gleason score as well as how much tumor was in the prostate. Xrt after surgery tells me there was concern about leftover cells.

In brief: It can

Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Natarajan Raman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Salvage Radiation

Yes, there is a small but definite risk of the cancer coming back after salavage radiation for prostatectomy.
Periodic psa surveillance is indicated as adviced by your oncologist. If detected early you may have other treatment alternatives to consider.

In brief: Salvage Radiation

Dr. Natarajan Raman
Dr. Natarajan Raman
Dr. Vicken Poochikian