My right knee makes loud crunching cracking sounda but I have no pain. Should I be scared?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Crepitus

Crunching or cracking sounds in the knee is known as crepitus.
This is usually due to roughness of the cartilage behind the knee cap. This roughened cartilage of the knee cap slides up and down when walking causing the crepitus. See your family doctor, internist or orthopedic surgeon if you have pain.

In brief: Crepitus

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Perhaps.

Your body typically does a good job of telling you when something is wrong by causing pain.
I would recommend visiting your doctor for a physical exam to further evaluate. A knee x-ray may help reveal the source of the crunching. If nothing shows up on this evaluation, it may be appropriate just to observe your knee.

In brief: Perhaps.

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine