Question to hepatologist: can we use l carnitine, vitamin e, selenium, or milk thistle to treat idiopathic chronic ALT of 150 and AST 60 totally idiop?

Dr. David Drewitz
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: No...

Elevated lfts are most commonly associated with fatty liver disease.
If you have had a comprehensive negative work-up other causative considerations include side effects of medications and supplements you may be taking. The supplements you mention have theoretical health benefits from their anti-oxidant properties but to my knowledge there is no data to support their use in this circumstance.

In brief: No...

Dr. David Drewitz
Dr. David Drewitz
Dr. Drewitz is correct. What you really want to do is get back into that heavy-duty fitness-focused lifestyle. You'll make friends, feel and look great, and probably drop those LFT's.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

All are harmless but good therapeutically.

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. William Forsythe