I had an X-ray of the spine and it indicated vascular calcification.I am also in stage 2 of chronic kidney failure. What does this mean for me and should I be concerned? I am 66 years old.

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Vessel calcification

If you have calcification (c) of your arteries, you should see a physician to be tested for more advanced chronic kidney disease as well as being evaluated for diabetes and high cholesterol levels.
Depending on the results of your examination, more tests may need to diagnose if you have peripheral arterial disease (pad). If you have pad, you may have disease the arteries in your heart and brain.

In brief: Vessel calcification

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: No, pretty healthy!

By age 66 it would be uncommon not to have some amount of calcium deposition in the blood vessels.
Only problematic if it begins to block the blood flow in those vessels. X rays nearly always demonstrate some calcification by this age. Stage 2 out of 5 stages means not quite normal function and should be a warning sign to protect your kidneys with weight, bp, glucose and med selection control.

In brief: No, pretty healthy!

Dr. Suresh Gupta

In brief: Atherosclerosis CKD

66 years old with ckd & vascular calcification.
Yes, you need to be concerned. You probably have hyperlipidemia ( high cholesterol ) ? Diabetes mellitus ii, with ckd, high risk for coronary artery disease, as well. You probably are a vasculopath. Get help & get checked soon. Sounds trouble to me.

In brief: Atherosclerosis CKD

Dr. Adam Smith