I've had a dull sore throat for over a week now on the left side only. Minimal to no swelling and no other symptoms. What can I do to get rid of it?

Dr. Philip Rosenblum

In brief: See a doctor

Sounds like somebody needs to have a look at you.
This could be strep or h flu, and anything from an ear infection to sinusitis or lymphadenitis. Somebody should have a look at you though.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
No problem. Worrisome symptoms would be trouble swallowing, high fever, sharp headache, stiff neck, or rash, or any combination of these. And remember, a medical appointment (around $100) is far less expensive than an emergency room visit (over $500) or worse yet, a hospital stay (> $1000/day plus missing work). I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but taking care of yourself is "insurance," too.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Simple things

Salt water gargles and Ibuprofen are my best two helpers.
Also, avoid any throat irritants - acidy foods, hot/cold liquids. Make sure, you use not very concentrated salt water gargle, otherwise you will make it hurt worse. If no relief in 1 week, you may need to be tested for strep, as i've seen persistent sore throats in strep carriers.

In brief: Simple things

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine