I gave birth 3 months ago, breastfed for 6 weeks and my hair is falling out like crazy in the shower. Am I ok?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
Hair loss after pregnancy is not unusual.
It is called telogen effluvium and occurs because normally 90 per cent of your hair is growing, but during pregnancy 100 per cent is growing so with change in hormones you will experience shedding of 10 per cent of all hairs along with normal shedding. This will stabilize in a few months. You can use rogaine (minoxidil) for 6 months if necessary.

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Mark Perloe
Rogaine shouldn't be necessary as the shedding only occurs when a new hair starts to grow. This is different from the woman with PCOS who has elevated male hormones where Rogaine along with intervention to reduce male hormones can reduce hair loss.
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine
This is not uncommon.
The condition is likely telogen effluvium, and for reasons we don't understand it can be triggered post-partum. If this diagnosis is correct it is temporary (although may last a few months) and is not permanent hair loss. It could still be helpful to see your personal doctor, but no cause for immediate alarm.

This is not uncommon.
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Adam Smith