I have am 8mm kidney stone located in the inferior pole. Not symptomatic currently, but was discovered by blood in urine. What are my options?

Dr. Fred McCurdy
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Urology

My advice - see a urologist and discuss options because there are choices to make in this situation.
You and your doctor have to weigh all the risks and benefits that are offered as possible choices.

In brief: Urology

Dr. Fred McCurdy
Dr. Fred McCurdy
David Miller

In brief: Nothing or something

If it's not causing you any symptoms, you don't necessarily have to do anything at the moment.
If it starts to give you problems (pain, kidneys stop working, etc) then you can have it broken up with shock waves or directly surgically removed (likely the best option for a lower-pole stone). Definitely need to see your doc (and possibly a nephrologist) for this one.

In brief: Nothing or something

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine