Should I hav a head ct? I have had a middle ear infection for over 8 weeks now with no change, dispite 3 doses of antibiotic ear drops, plus augmentn

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Depends
It depends on who has diagnosed you wtih a middle ear infection.
With respect to my primary care colleagues: many times "fluid" on the ear is diagnosed as an infection when in fact it is not "infected" but rather residual fluid collection as a result of infection. If the fluid has persisted for 8 weeks... No you don't need a ct. If you haven't seen an ent, i would see an ent.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology
In brief: Please see an ENT
Physician if you have not yet.
You need to make sure you are getting an accurate diagnosis and optimal treatment. Advanced imaging is not likely needed, but one could consider a ct scan of the head to look for fluid in the mastoid air cells, or possibly an MRI with contrast to look for abnormal enhancement or other signs of a deeper infection.

In brief: Please see an ENT
Physician if you have not yet.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Shontae Buffington