I have had pain in my right ankle for almost four years now. It has steadily gotten worse I went to physical therapy for a while and it didn't help?

Dr. Joseph De santi

In brief: Ankle Aches

It sounds like you've had an unresolved injury.
Chronic ankle sprains do exist whereby the ligamentous structures are too lax and never regain their original strength even with physical therapy. As a result pain will be an issue since you're constantly stressing the joints. A consult with a podiatric surgeon make be your best option for relief. It may also be time for more imaging to help.

In brief: Ankle Aches

Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Need an evaluation.

Four years of pain and no response to pt warrants further investigation.
There are many possible reasons from arthritis to instability. See a foot and ankle orthopedist. Check aofas.Org to find someone near you.

In brief: Need an evaluation.

Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

It could be arthritis, or instability, or a tendon tear. It all depends on your symptoms associated with pain.
Does it give way, do you turn your ankle frequently, or is it stiff and sore? Each answer leads to a different diagnosis and appropriate treatment. You need to follow-up with your doctor and narrow down the cause prior to treatment. Instability and tendon tears can be repaired.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine