I am five months pregnant. My wrists hurt really bad.What should I do?

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Carpal Tunnel
It usually causes a numbness feeling in the hand/fingers. Wrist pain at the joint with use or lifting that does not have numbness could be something else. One possibility is looseness or "laxity" of the wrist bones. This can happen from the hormones of pregnancy making all the joints extra loose.

In brief: Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
de Quervain's is another, usually very painful, condition. It causes pain on the thumb side of the wrist. Probably more common just after childbirth from lifting the baby under the arms.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: ? Carpal Tunnel
You may have carpal tunnel syndrome.
It is not uncommon for pregnant women to have this. Thre is increased fluid in the body due to pregnancy and swelling in the hands can compromise the median nerve causing wrist, upper arm pain and numbness and tingling. Wrist splints may help. If you are concerned, get examined. Sometimes this leads to surgery. Often goes away with post partum state.

In brief: ? Carpal Tunnel
You may have carpal tunnel syndrome.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
David Miller
In brief: OMM for CTS
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common complication late in pregnancy.
There are some great treatments within osteopathic manipulation for this that often do not require splinting, injections or other invasive procedures. I would encourage you to seek out a do skilled in omm and be treated. They can also help with the back and hip pain you are undoubtedly experiencing.

In brief: OMM for CTS
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: De Quervain's
De quervain tenosynovitis is very common in pregnant women and those who recently had children.
It develops from a combination of tissue swelling from hormones and from how new mothers lift their babies. Symptoms can resolve spontaneously, but are usually treated with splinting and behavior modification. A single steroid injection, which is safe while pregnancy or breast feeding, often cures!

In brief: De Quervain's
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Jane Van Dis